Book review - "The Golden Age of Australian Radio Drama" by Richard Lane (Volume One and Two)

 Superlative book; probably my favourite radio history because its so personal and the characters so colourful, yet the scholarship is excellent. I used this a lot on my researches into Frank Harvey and Rod Taylor; I even met Richard Lane once and interviewed him. I visited him and his wife Lynne Murphy at their flat; his dog was prone to hump legs. I remember encouraging him to do something on George Edwards, whose chapter in Volume One is my favourite; Lane later called me at AFTRS (where I was studying at the time) to say he was going to do so - it was the last time I spoke with him. Volume Two is a lot of fun - it's a shame there wasn't enough demand to issue a merged copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Janus of the Age aka Gordon Bett